What if you could buy some toys right now that in a decade will be collectors items? Savvy parents, and toy lovers, scout the toy racks regularly for $10 toys that just might be worth $100 or more in a few years.
How do you know it may soon soar in value?
Rarity, condition is key
According to eBay’s collectibility guide, there are four things to look for when it comes to a toy that will appreciate in value:
Condition is key, for a toy to be worth the most, it must be in excellent condition, and have its original packaging. Save the box. Better yet, save everything. A top value toy is unopened, in the box, and original packaging, and that’s very important.
If your child wants to play with it, he suggests you buy two of them, and leave one unopened.
But just as important is rarity: limited edition toys, or collectors toys like Beanie Babies or Funko Pop are worth more than Star Wars (NEW) or Marvel Toys because millions are being made/sold.
Which toys are best bets?
Items related to popular video games and TV shows and movies that were not made by the millions. Among its suggestions:
- Limited edition LEGO sets (but don’t assemble them, if you want the highest value)
- The Simpsons figures (see Funko Pops above)
- Fisher Price Imaginext figures
- Original Minecraft toys (you could probably add Fortnite toys to the list now)
- Playmobil airplanes, airports, buses, campers
- Limited edition board games (such as collector Monopoly boards)
So stay up on trends, save the packaging, tuck it in a safe, dry place, and don’t waste your money.